Home page

Greek

School of Mechanical Engineering of N.T.U.A.

  THE SCHOOL


  FACULTY & STAFF


  EDUCATION


  RESEARCH


  SELECTIONS

    

History of School

The National Technical University was founded in 1837 under the name Polytechnic School as an elementary technical educational institution operating on Sundays and holidays only. In 1840 its operation became continuous offering more courses. By that time it moved to its own building in Pireus Street. The zeal of both student body and teaching staff raised the standard of the School. At that time the courses included mathematics, chemistry, design and mechanics organized in winter and summer terms. During the period 1844-1862, apart from the Sunday and daily courses, a School of the higher level was created which included architecture and fine arts. During that period, a course for machinists was also introduced. Courses on magnetics and static electricity started in January 1856, and in June 1860 the first telegraph operators were trained.

During the periods 1862-1864 and 1864-1873, the polytechnion was reorganized by adding more technical courses. A machine-shop and a telegraphic laboratory were then organized. In 1873, Polytechnion moved to its present buildings at Patission Street and was renamed Metsovion Polytechnion in honour of its benefactors from the town of Metsovon, Eripus. Polytechnion went on operating in that form till after 1873. In 1881 a one-year course in Telegraphy was introduced. In 1887, faculties for Civil Engineers, Machinists and Foremen were introduced and a detailed syllabus as well as an internal organization was established. The operation of the faculties continued until 1914. Then the School came under the Ministry of Public Works and took the name National Technical University of Athens. By the time, the faculties included Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Architecture, Electrical Engineering and Telegraphic Engineering, all of them being four-year courses of highest educational level. In accordance with the law of 1914, lower level courses were removed to elementary education schools. In accordance with legislation passed on in 1917, the National Technical University of Athens included the Highest Department of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering and Highest Departments for Architects, Chemical Engineers and Surveyors. In the Department of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering new courses were inserted and new laboratories were set up. The courses offered were all obligatory but in 1960 and thereafter the department was divided into specialized sections. Thus in 1963, the division of Production Engineering was created and in 1968 the division of Naval Engineering.

Finally, in 1975, the Department of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering was divided into two independent departments. The Department of Mechanical Engineering included the divisions of Production Engineering and Naval Engineering. With the application of the Enabling Law of 1982, the Department of Mechanical Engineering includes the following six Sections:

- Section of Industrial Management & Operational Research.
- Section of Thermal Engineering.
- Section of Mechanical Design & Automatic Control.
- Section of Nuclear Engineering.
- Section of Fluids.
- Section of Manufacturing Technology.

The division of Naval Engineering was separated from the Department of Mechanical Engineering thus forming an independent Department. In 1986, the following two cycles of courses were created:
- The cycle for Energy Mechanical Engineers.
- The cycle for Constructions Mechanical Engineers.

In 1990 a cycle for Aircraft-Mechanical Engineers has been created. The above three cycles with a fourth cycle for Production Engineers provide to the students a freedom to select courses and choose the direction of their studies. There are laboratories for the training of the students and for research carried out by the teaching staff so as to satisfy the following three main requirements:

- Educational work, which includes teaching, tutorials, laboratory training, seminars and dissertations.
- Research and postgraduate studies (PhD) carried out in the six Sections of the School.
- Social work referring to the development of Technology and cooperation with Industrial, Public and private Institutions. In the following chapters more details are given about the educational and research activities of the School.

     School of Mechanical Engineering of N.T.U.A.

  SECTIONS





School of Mechanical Engineering of N.T.U.A.

Administrator